<span class="highlight">Hard</span> <span class="highlight">floor</span> campers

Submitted: Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:11
ThreadID: 74042 Views:13628 Replies:15 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have recently got into off road camping and will sell tents and soft roader Subaru to purchase a hard floor camper and mid sized Toyota 4wd (not sure which one yet). Interested in trips to Cape York and the like but looking for advice on low bed (length way to camper not across) campers as my hip arthritis is making climbing up and down difficult. So far my research has found Aussie Swag, Aust. Off Road, Campomatic, Modcon,poineer, Travelander, Cub and Castaway. Are there anymore out there worth researching?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: you eat the bear - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:43

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:43
Have a look at the myswag web site and forum.
Heaps of information and advice on CT's there.
www.myswag.org

Good luck

Steve
AnswerID: 392860

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:46

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:46
Probably the most popular of them all.....KK........

But for a person with climbing problems.....all will be very similar as to access up to the bed.....but as always, don't buy one until you try it out...you may find even the climb in a hard floor is a major problem....
AnswerID: 392861

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:01

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:01
My wife has athiritic hips, which is the only reason why we sold our Track Eagle & purchased a Pioneer Argyle. She now finds it simple to access the bed.

AnswerID: 392868

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 15:44

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 15:44
We hired a Pioneer from hireacampertrailer.com in O'Connor (WA). Was a great experience and would recommend a Pioneer to anybody prepared to listen.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 660885

Reply By: Member - John S (QLD) - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:38

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:38
Steve n Jo,

Good on ya for giving the great outdoors a go. You'll love it. I have a Cape York Camper Trailer. Although they aren't mentioned as much as the other named brands, i think you'll find they are a worthy opponent. It is a hard floor type, with all the bells and whistles.
when the floor is folded out, it is actually about 8 inches off the ground. so when you get into bed, you are 8 inches closer to the top of the mattress. Unlike the soft floor type where the floor is flat on the ground, just like a tent. this is thanks to the adjustable legs on the floor. (which was the roof) anyway, this is our first camper, and have only used it once. Took it up to Cape Melville for a week. I remember being able to rest my butt on the edge of the mattress while i brush the sand off my feet before climbing into bed.
Steve there are other alternatives to climbing into bed. if you have a good trailer with ample storage space, you could always pack one of those plastic steps. the ones used for toddlers that can't quite reach up to the toilet seat.
anyway, check out cape york trailers' website, and contact Ted in Cairns. He is very helpful.
there are a few pics of my camper on my profile as well.

John
AnswerID: 392873

Reply By: Banno12000 - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 14:19

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 14:19
Suggest you have a look at the following link - http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm If you get through all the camper trailer manufacturer websites on that link you will be doing well; I gave up at the "D's" a couple of months ago and bought a Challenge.
AnswerID: 392892

Follow Up By: Tadooch - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 19:55

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 19:55
Banno,
Don't foret they have what I believe to be the most comprehensive lists of manufactures...

http://www.campertrailers.org/manufacturers.htm
FollowupID: 660927

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 17:12

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 17:12
We had a Campomatic (great overall, but we've now moved to a caravan formula) - of the others that I have researched and seen first hand, Kimberley Kamper seems tough and good value for money - the Aussie Swag looked a great unit too...... there are others just as good as these three though..... as for bed access - one needs to scramble up onto the foot of the bed in all of the flip-over hardfloors as I see it.
AnswerID: 392919

Reply By: Ken65 - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 22:17

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 22:17
Hello Steve n Jo. Don't discount soft floor trailers. Have a look at the ones with a walkway built in. Lots more room in the tent and so easy to get in and out of bed. Mine is a Jimboomba trailer and can recommend it' No affiliation just a happy camper.
AnswerID: 392954

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 22:24

Friday, Nov 27, 2009 at 22:24
I have to admit to eyeballing the same as you lately. I'm trying to stay away from trailers with long drawbars and are too heavy. Narrowed it down to TVan, Campomatic and Aussie Swag at present. But my traytop is well fitted out, so I'm really just wanting a lightweight bed and kitchen on wheels, so the TVan suits my needs. Pity they are so expensive....
AnswerID: 392956

Reply By: Member - Gouger (Vic) - Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 09:12

Saturday, Nov 28, 2009 at 09:12
I would also be looking at the VistaRV Crossover - no canvas to erect or get wet , incredidly easy to access and set up and a great QS bed.Suspension is second to none and build quality is superlative. Worth a look at VistaRV website to include in shopping list - a number of campertrailers written up in October Campertrailer magazine currently on sale.

Gouger
AnswerID: 392993

Reply By: Steve n Jo - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:58

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:58
Just back from short trip to Bundaberg and so many responses...your site and members are surely welcoming and informative and we thank you all. Only just starting to plan out the direction we will take toward retirement on the road and now have plenty more to investigate...and that's just the campers!!!
Between pros and cons of rigs to water and mattress heaters, fridge types, canvas weights and construction techniques, suspension setups etc etc etc
...and have'nt even starting looking at vehicles, routes, insurances, precautions etc etc etc. However it seems that most of these things have been mulled over well and truly before by all of you and others and no doubt everyone will have an opinion/perspective base on your experiences.
AnswerID: 393334

Reply By: Steve n Jo - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:03

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:03
Just back from short trip to Bundaberg and so many responses...your site and members are surely welcoming and informative and we thank you all. Only just starting to plan out the direction we will take toward retirement on the road and now have plenty more to investigate...and that's just the campers!!!
Between pros and cons of rigs to water and mattress heaters, fridge types, canvas weights and construction techniques, suspension setups etc etc etc
...and have'nt even starting looking at vehicles, routes, insurances, precautions etc etc etc. However it seems that most of these things have been mulled over well and truly before by all of you and others and no doubt everyone will have an opinion/perspective base on your experiences. We will look forward to catching up online soon (after much more research) and perhaps catching up on the road or down the track in the future. Once again thank you all for your responses and your generosity of time...cheers and beers Steve 'n Jo.
AnswerID: 393336

Reply By: wilco318 - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:03

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:03
Hi

I have recently purchased a Bushranger hardfloor camper trailer, They are made here in vic, independent suspension, water tank, sink, stove, 240v and 12v power,, tool box and treg off road hitch from around 15k on the road.
AnswerID: 393736

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:10

Thursday, Dec 03, 2009 at 22:10
Steve n Jo,

I've owned 2 Pioneer campers. I upgraded from the first one, an Argyle, to the Argyle SE to get the gullwing storage box.

In the time between those two models Pioneer had, in my opinion, dropped the ball. The first was well made, the second was poor. The canvas was thin and tore at a pressure point. The first one had that pressure point covered with 2 layers of canvas.

They were cutting too many corners.

Member Dave B from Broken Hill has an Australian Off Road Camper and I had a good look over it at Innamincka last year. It was so well made. I would have to put that right at the top of hard floor campers... just my opinion of course.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 393738

Reply By: Leevon - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 22:21

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 22:21
We have an Argyle SE and have just returned from a trip West to East coast and then straight down via Alice Springs. Would not reccomend a PIONEER CAMPER! For a start you cannot get to all your water storage the zips are poorly sewn in, the canvas is thin and yes we are having problems with areas of the canvas fraying. Our camper is near new and requires constant maintenance on our part because the after sales service is non-existant. We are currently looking at other campers to replace this one. Hope this is of some help!
AnswerID: 393930

Follow Up By: Mogul - Monday, Dec 07, 2009 at 20:17

Monday, Dec 07, 2009 at 20:17
We have had oru Argyle SE for two years now and have spent around 5 months in it. So far we have had no issues with it at all.
FollowupID: 662335

Reply By: Steve n Jo - Monday, Dec 07, 2009 at 19:48

Monday, Dec 07, 2009 at 19:48
Not sure if my attempt to post a response to all of you who have answered our initial inquiry was successful. If it wasn't then be assured that we have been blown away by your generous responses and will look forward to chasing up all lines of inquiry....and one day catching up on the track.
My arthritis is only at early stage (I can still patrol and drive the rescue duckie for our local curf club) but stepping up to beds a metre or so off the floor is getting hard. We both liked the low bed height of the hard floor units we saw at the Brisbane Camper and Caravan show this year and many of the other features of the more expensive rigs. We have stayed for a week at Woodford Folk Festival (severe thunderstorms, torrential rain and then 40 degree heat and dust) a few years back in a soft floor trailer and would not comtemplate one for our future.
Sounds like Pioneer have dropped the ball recently as 2 different responses have been scathing...but one (let alone 2) bad review can compromise a bagfull of testimonials so we are being extra cautious.
As we still have some way to go before retirement and blast off we will stay on the case and thoroughly check out all of your advices. Thanks again, cheers and beers... Steve
AnswerID: 394104

Sponsored Links